Wednesday, June 4

Exposure

Sometimes I get discouraged when I read some blogs where the families seem to have it all together, there's one success story after another, and everyone is always in harmony with never a hint of strife or chaos. I know that's not the way anyone's life really is, and it certainly isn't the way my life is. I try to keep Ryan's and Abby's blogs fairly positive because I don't want to seem like I am "tattling" on my kids or putting their sinfulness on display, but it's uncomfortable sometimes because on the other hand I don't want to seem like I'm bragging or that we don't have struggles. I know at least one of their birthparents read the blogs (I've made it known and available to all of them) and I want them to see how incredible their children are and what a blessing they are in our lives!

The intent of this blog originally was more of a journal of my thoughts, struggles, and things along the way that God is teaching me. I've tried to be transparent about some of my struggles and frustrations, but it's hard to dig deep and expose myself. I'd much rather people only saw the bright side, the parts where I'm growing, and the successes, and from most of the blogs I see, that's how most people feel too.

When I look at my most frequented blogs, I find that they are not the ones where everything looks perfect. I am strangely encouraged when I read about other people struggling with similar issues that I have and when I see people who do not have it all together but they are still fighting the good fight, people who fail and repent and get up and try again. That's where I live, not in the glory of success day after day but in the fight against sin and pride and complacency with glimpses of victory here and there.

Just on the off chance somebody else likes to know that others struggle, here's a list of eight things I fail in regularly. Some are outright sin, while others are just ways in which I am not meeting my own standards.


  • I yell at my kids.

  • I still haven't finished reading through the Bible in a year that I began September 2006.

  • I snap at my hubby.

  • I often avoid a particular neighbor instead of sharing Christ's love.

  • I have never mopped the floor of my laundry room in the 29 months we've lived here.

  • I have unrealistic expectations of people, particularly Christian leaders.

  • I avoid homosexuals whenever possible.

  • I am four years behind in scrapbooking my kids' lives, even though I have all the supplies.


Be encouraged:
The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him." The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the person who seeks Him. It is good that he waits silently For the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3:22-26

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Good to know you yell at your kids. Strangely, I find it encouraging to hear others admit that flaw. LOL.

I'm so behind on scrapbooking the girls. I don't have any pics printed, they are all on this computer. So I just chalk it up to their blogs being their scrapbooks for the time being. LOL.

Kim said...

Yes, it is one of the things I am working the hardest to stop!

I'm in the same boat with pix...they're all on the computer and none are printed out.

NLWilliams said...

Hello from a friend you've never met who stumbled across your blog and has commented once or twice. I was moved to tears tonight b/c this has been a bad week for me and I really needed this post, as well as the one about Team Hoyt. Thank you for being willing to dig deep and talk about the pain and problems and bad stuff too. It helps me too when I read that I'm not the only "stressed out parent who tries and tries but is not perfect" out there! And I have NEVER even THOUGHT about mopping my laundry room floor.

 

designer : anniebluesky : blogu