Wednesday, July 27

Homeschooling

My husband and I have been considering homeschooling our children even before we had children, but it's only been the last six months or so that I've seriously begun researching it. I have spent much time this year on the internet and checking out books from the library about homeschooling. Around about April I started to feel panicky and overwhelmed and thinking there was no way I could do it. I even began checking on the private and charter schools in our area. As it turns out, none of the charter schools available to us are something we would consider sending our kids to, and the private schools prices were so very high that it seemed out of our financial reach.

I began praying even more about our educational options and seeking God's guidance, and then a neat thing happened. Beginning in May I was forced to spend two hours per day doing close-up work with my son to help him with a vision problem we discovered he had (amblyopia). Ryan has known his phonics for over a year and had been wanting to put them together to read, but the way I had been trying to show him wasn't clicking with him. So I checked out a book from the library called "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons," and we spent part of his two hours per day learning to read. Ryan ate it up, and I discovered something very valuable too: I LOVED teaching him! I realized I didn't want to give this joy to someone else.

I know the Lord has answered my prayers and given me peace about homeschooling at last. He even has lead me to the curriculum I believe I am going to use, but more on that later...

No comments:

 

designer : anniebluesky : blogu