Wednesday, September 20

How Firm a Foundation

I am saddened that most churches today have abandoned hymns. We are missing some great theology and exhortation by forgetting these great works of the past. This hymn is one of my favorites (From Rippon's Selection of Hymns-1787; though it will forever be linked to J. Vernon McGee in my mind!):


How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you he hath said,
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

Fear not, I am with the: O be not dismayed,
For I am they God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes:
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's my very favorite hymn! It's taped inside the frontispiece of my Bible. Our church rarely sings it (though we DO sing hymns along with contemporary praise songs), but last time we did it was announced as my favorite.

I like the first stanza's sentiment that He's said all we need to hear in His excellent Word. So often, we look for "more" than Scripture, and that's where we get off base. Scripture is a treasure chest that we can NEVER empty! Hallelujah!

 

designer : anniebluesky : blogu